Tuesday, November 07, 2017

How to learn touch typing quickly (my story)




There is no doubt that touch typing (Wikipedia) - a way of typing on the computer keyboard without looking - is much faster than the visual hunting for the right keys. Imagine how much more you could achieve if you typed faster. I will share my story how I learned this in two weeks.

TL, DR: Just do it.

Back in 1996, when I studied computer science at the Kiev-Mohyla Academy, some American (don't remember the name, it was something like Mike) has organized a computer room at the university with Internet access. This was a big deal back then. Most people with computers had only BBS access using the slow modem devices. I was immediately hooked and spent time in the room almost every day.


One day I saw a tech guy who helped organizing the Internet room there when he was fixing one of the regular connection issues. We called the guy a "hacker", not in a sense of breaking security, but in a sense of being a true expert. I believe he was one of the first people to organize and build Internet access in Ukraine.

I was so impressed with the speed he was typing on the Solaris terminal! It was like in the movies, but in real life. From that moment I decided I would learn touch typing because I wanted to be like him.

If you have tried touch typing already and gave up - I understand you. I have been using computers for four years by then and was able to type relatively fast for a visual typing. But when I stopped looking at the keyboard my speed dropped ten times. This is the actual challenge - persist typing slower than you used to and refrain from looking at the keyboard. It only took me two weeks. After two weeks I regained the speed I had and continued improving the typing speed further.

I'm thankful to this hacker for inspiring me, even though he likely did not notice my existence. Notice that I have not used any training software or did anything extraordinary - I kept using my computer like I always did, but never looked back at the keyboard.

Just two weeks and you will be more productive for the rest of your life.


P.S. Back then I was typing on the early inconvenient keyboard which looked like this.


I'm very glad this monster is not usable anymore. Since many years I use Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 and recently switched to the newest and latest Microsoft Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard. It's looking so cool that I feel the urge to type some more. It's just a pleasure to type on it. Try it for yourself. Check it on Amazon. It has the best reviews.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

As reported by Stanford Medical, It is indeed the SINGLE reason this country's women get to live 10 years more and weigh on average 42 lbs less than us.

(And actually, it is not about genetics or some hard exercise and EVERYTHING about "how" they are eating.)

P.S, What I said is "HOW", not "what"...

TAP this link to reveal if this easy quiz can help you find out your real weight loss possibility

Unknown said...

If you're trying hard to lose fat then you need to jump on this brand new custom keto meal plan.

To design this keto diet service, licensed nutritionists, fitness trainers, and top chefs have united to develop keto meal plans that are effective, painless, economically-efficient, and fun.

Since their grand opening in early 2019, thousands of individuals have already transformed their figure and well-being with the benefits a professional keto meal plan can give.

Speaking of benefits: clicking this link, you'll discover eight scientifically-certified ones offered by the keto meal plan.